Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bonfire Party by Elise

Bonfire Party with a splash of orange & dragons by Elise Easdown Managing Director of Whats on 4 Little Ones Australia. 

Bonfire Party! Party on a budget and time restriction


Due to a recent trip down south to see family, I thought it would be appropriate to celebrate my son's birthday with his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  This didn't leave a great deal of time time, but there is nothing like a bit of pressure to get the job done!

I normally love researching, planning and outsourcing aspects of my children birthday parties.  But I don't know what happened this year, time got away from me! My son had asked for an 'Orange themed' birthday party.  Sounds relatively easy doesn't it, but no it was a challenge.  Or maybe it was just the time frame I was working with?  


Regardless,  I had just enough time to order an orange coloured cake from Cake 2 the rescue, (www.cake2therescue.com.au) a gorgeous Dinosaur with blue spots.  I stuck with the trend of Dinosaurs when I found some party ware at a local discount shop and it included bags, plates, cups, party blowers etc.

Two days before the party, my dad mentioned he had some wood that needed burning and would the kids like to see a bonfire.  Ahh yes! So in came the Bonfire theme and the Dino cake became a Dragon!

For the party bags I grabbed glow sticks, marshmallows (for toasting) and mini chocolate flakes because they look like logs of wood (I know getting desperate but it looked cute).
Some candles and orange flowers from the garden continued the orange/dragon theme.
The kids played safely out on the lawn together while the adults chatted around the bonfire.  We didn't have any set games as the cousin all get along well and played together.

We had a BBQ dinner with yummy salads and crusty bread.

I had seen this great idea of hollowing out oranges and adding raw chocolate cake batter.  You then wrap them in foil and bake them in the coals of the fire.  Now silly me forgot to add the eggs to the cake mixture and they didn't really work out.  I didn't even take a picture they looked so bad but it would work and be really yummy with the citrus flavour coming through the chocolate.  They are meant to actually bake and become cake like but mine were more moussey. A few guest still did eat them though and quite enjoyed them.

I made the Cake 2 the Rescue cake as per the very easy instructions the night before and decorated it on the day in under an hour.  How easy is that! I added some red cellophane for Dragon fire!  These cakes are so easy to make and save you all the drama of colouring fondant yourself, which  gets expensive. It was really yummy and everyone was suitably impressed and asking for the details.

It was a great party in the end and really goes to show that it is all about having family around you and often the good old fashioned parties are often the best. Next year however, I will be getting started a bit early and using the reliable www.whatson4kidsparties.com.au to help me.

Elise x









0 comments:

Post a Comment